Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Why do bad things happen to good people?




Yesterday as I was at my inlaws house in Saskatchewan I asked Amy "why do bad things happen to good people." You see the reason that I asked that question is because 6 hours earlier at 5am we woke up to the house on fire. It was in the roof, started by an outdoor security light. We woke up, still a little unsure if we were dreaming or not and started to get everyone, and all the important articles out of the house incase it burned all the way down.
To preface, no one was hurt, thanks be to Jesus and the house did not burn down, it just burned enough for Amy's parents to have to move out so they can rebuild.
It is amazing what you find important to you in a pressure situation where you barely have time to save things that are important to you. This may sound shallow, but the 1st thing that I grabbed, after my daughter was out of the house was Maggi. Maggi is my 12" i-book G4. I like her a lot. After that I grabbed the passports, my i-pod, my bible and books, my homework, and our wedding pictures.
Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't just thinking about me, well at least not all of the time. During all the grabbing we also grabbed things that were important to the family. Computers, even though they were PC's, photo albums, Christmas presents or holiday presents if you prefer and wallets. As I was scrambling to get stuff out, fully awake at 5:10am for the 1st time in, well ever, i was thinking about what is important. The thing that struck me is that it was all just stuff. I wish that the only thing I though of getting out of the house, besides family, was my bible, and maybe all my mac computer stuff (kidding). I want Jesus to be the only thing I think about and the only one worth my life.
So, back to my question of "why do bad things happen to good people." I mean it is Christmas, things like this are not supposed to happen to you, it is just supposed to be something you read about happening to others. Right? Plus, Amy's parents are good, good people. They believe in all their kids, support them, and have raised them fairly well.
As soon as my question was out of my mouth I was convicted at my own shallowness and lack of Christlikeness. The question should have been "why do bad things happen to anyone?" We are all sinners, no one deserves to have their house burn on Christmas. How dare I say that this person or that person deserves it more than me or my family or anyone who loves Jesus. Jesus did not favor, he loved and died for all mankind (obviously I am Arminianist). It truly made me sick and I repent. "All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God." "There is no one righteous, not even one."
I pray that all of us, coming into this Christmas season would see that we all need Jesus, we all need help and we all need each other.
-Amen-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys are OK. It's so weird to think of Stewart and Louise's house on fire. I'm glad your stuff was OK, and that you always have good insight after things happen. Bad things happen to all kinds of people, whether they deserve it or not. Maybe the security light was made wrong - or maybe the whole thing just happened. Please give my greetings to your families and have a great Christmas (or holiday, whatever).

Love,
Houser