Friday, August 03, 2007

The News

I am sitting in a Hotel in San Diego this morning, as I got bumped from my flight (sorry Jim for now calling) and looking at all the stuff that is going on in the world. It is breaking my heart for the people who are hurting so badly due to these disasters. I just wanted to show a few images and ask us to pray and stand with the hurting.


Almost 20 million people have been displaced as some of the worst floods for years have hit a wide swathe of northern India, Bangladesh and Nepal.

"Everything is underwater," says mother of seven Musamat Manwara Khatoum as she stands knee-deep in water.

"We've lost our crops, there's nowhere to put the children down, not even a place to cook."



I went down not long after the bridge collapsed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There was a bridge that I had driven over not long before - gone! I think most of us were in disbelief. I kept getting text messages asking if I was alright. People were having trouble getting cellphone reception. I know my own mother was in tears when she was finally able to reach me. What a strange day!
HJJ, Minneapolis, MN





The Korean Christian workers - 18 of them women - were seized on 19 July as they travelled by bus down the main road from Kabul to Kandahar.

The aid workers' leader, Pastor Bae Hyung-kyu, was the first to be shot dead by the militants. His death was reported over the weekend.

On Tuesday, South Korea confirmed that a second hostage had been killed - 29-year-old Shim Sung-min, a former IT worker.

At least two of the remaining hostages are seriously ill, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes my heart hurt too.

Trevor said...

I believe in prayer...but it seems too little. My heart cries out for these people...but I don't know what to do. Let's pray...not only for them, but for ourselves to know how to help.