Friday, December 08, 2006

In Memory of James Kim



For the last few days the family of James Kim has been on my mind constantly. He was a father, a son, a husband and a friend to many it seems. Over thanksgiving he was driving with his family and their car got stuck and they were stranded. After 6 days of him and his wife keeping their children alive he went off on his own to find help. 2 day's later his family were found alive and well. 3 day's after that James was found dead.

What was going on in his head and his families head when he left to go for help? Were they scared? Were they hopefull? Did they wonder if this was going to be the last time they would see each other? It has been haunting me lately. I have been praying for his wife and children as what they are going through must be almost unbearable. I also wonder if they knew the Lord. Is there hope in their loss? Do they know if they will see their beloved husband and daddy again?

The other reason that it is on my mind is that I am the same age as James. My children are also the same age. What would I do in that situation? I assume whatever I could to save my family. That is what he did. I wonder if he knew he was going to die in the forest would he still have went? I am sure he would if he knew it would save his family. He must have been so scared. I pray that God gives healing to this family. I pray that God gives life and hope.

Amen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil- This whole thing is causing me a lot of sadness too. I watched Tech TV when he was on for quite a while and really liked what he did. I followed the story the whole week. Very sad and seemingly pointless. I don't understand why God allows things like that to happen. I'm happy his family is alive but it seems so unfair. He did what I would do though. Going for help was a heroic thing. I'm praying for his family and I feel sick for them.

Anonymous said...

Phil,
The Kim family has also been on my heart and in my prayers a lot this last week. At www.cnet.com where James worked as one of their senior editors you will find a really nice memoriam as well as ways that we might help his family.

Anonymous said...

No greater love hath he than one who lays down his life for his friends/(family)... or, anybody!

James Kim is nothing less than a Hero. His action for his family is completely commendable. I am glad you have written something in addition sharing your heart on the matter.