Monday, December 18, 2006

Mabel



Today I was walking into my house and saw Mabel, one of my neighbors. Mabel lives two houses down from us and is a sweet 70+ year old lady who lives by herself. I usually see her in the morning walking with her dog. I have never talked to Mabel, but this morning I stopped to say hello. I found out that she has been in the hospital for the last 7 weeks as she was in a car accident and broke her neck and 7 ribs. She told me that she is glad to be home and able to walk outside with her dog again.

I am glad that Mabel and I talked for a bit today. I have lived near her for the last year and a half and I have never taken the time for her. I want to be a better neighbor. I want to care for those around me. I want to know what is going on in their lives, and somehow be involved. This is, I believe the best way to show the gospel to people, just knowing them and loving them and being a good neighbor. I hope that I continue to have conversations with Mabel and the other neigbors on my street. If anyone has any thoughts or ways that they have been involved in the lives of their neighbors please pass them on my way.

Thanks and have a great day.

No comments: