Thursday, March 08, 2007

Free writing




I am in Montana at the Mission Adventures theme gathering and wanted to share some stuff that is going on. So far it is going well. We took some time to connect and here from God this morning and it was encouraging what He had to say. One of the things that we did to free up our imaginations was to write for 5 minutes about anything that came to mind. Here is my 5 minutes of free writing.

Stressed! Things were fine or so I thought, then someone else realized my mistake. I wish it wasn't Lent then I could swear. Maybe it's good that it is Lent. Maybe I shouldn't be swearing. Why do I swear sometimes anyway? I think that it is funny I guess. Now I don't use the big swear words, like the bad ones, the ones you can say just by raising a finger, but I say words that would make someone blush. I don't like sin, but I do like to make people laugh. So, when Lent is over will I return to my colorfull shock value language or will my heart be changed?

I guess this shows what is in my heart. I want more of God. This is why I am taking this time of Lent to look at my heart and look at the things in my life that are not really glorifying to Him. I want to live holy, but I don't want to live under the law, I want to live under Christ. I am continually being renewed, thanks be to God.

Romans 7:23-25 (The Message)

It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.
I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?
The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.

No comments: